The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and daiquiri fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Daiquiri Fun Facts.
Daiquiri Fun Facts: The daiquiri itself got its beginnings in 1898, when a man named Jennings Stockton Cox (who was an American engineer spending time in Daiquiri, Cuba to work on iron-ore mines) created a drink using fresh lime juice from the fruit of a nearby tree. He added a shot of Bacardi Carta Blanca rum (now sold as Bacardi Superior), a spoonful of sugar and crushed ice to the lime juice, and the concoction was an instant hit. Cox dubbed the new drink “Ron Bacardi a la Daiquiri,” which has shortened to simply “Daiquiri” over the years.
- July 19th is National Daiquiri Day.
- The drink even became a favorite of author Ernest Hemingway.
- The daiquiri became popular in the 1940’s because wartime rationing made whiskey, vodka, etc., hard to come by. Because of Roosevelt’s Good Neighbor policy (which opened up trade and travel relations with Latin America, Cuba and the Caribbean), rum was easily obtainable.
- It is one of six basic drinks listed in David A. Embury’s classic The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks.
- Floridita. With maraschino liqueur, created by Constantino Ribalaigua Vert at El Floridita.
- Hemingway or Papa Doble. Two and a half jiggers of white rum, juice of two limes and half a grapefruit, six drops of maraschino liqueur, without sugar, served frozen.
- Banana. Regular with a half a banana.
- Red Irish. A frozen strawberry daiquiri made with spiced rum and a shot of Irish Cream added to the blender. Originated in Portland, Oregon.
- Janis. With Jose Cuervo tequila substituted for rum.
- Strawberry. Regular with strawberry added.
Daiquiri Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any daiquiri fun facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Fun Facts about the Daiquiri