The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and empanada fun facts. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Empanada fun facts.
Empanada Fun Facts: An empanada is a stuffed bread or pastry baked or fried in many countries in South Europe, Latin America, and parts of Southeast Asia. The name empanada comes from the Galician, Portuguese and Spanish verb empanar, meaning to wrap or coat in bread.
- It is believed that Latin American empanadas originated in Galicia, Spain, where an empanada is prepared similar to a pie that is cut in pieces, making it a portable and hearty meal for working people.
- The Galician empanada is usually prepared with cod fish or chicken.
- April 8th is National Empanada Day.
- Empanadas can be made by folding dough or bread around stuffing, can consists of a variety of meat, cheese, vegetables or fruits.
- Cubans eat empanadas at any meal, but they usually consume them during lunch or as a snack.
- Empanadas are known as panada or pastel in Indonesia. The panada, has thick crust made of fried bread, giving it bread texture and is filled with spicy tuna and chili peppers.
Empanada Fun Facts We Missed
Please feel free to let us know if we may have missed some empanada fun facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Empanadas
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.