The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and espresso fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Espresso Fun Facts.
Espresso Fun Facts. Espresso is coffee brewed by forcing a small amount of nearly boiling water under pressure through finely ground coffee beans. It is generally thicker than coffee brewed by other methods. It has a higher concentration of suspended and dissolved solids, and also has crema on top (a foam with a creamy consistency).
- Espresso is not referring to a particular type of bean, it is a drink.
- Angelo Moriondo’s Italian patent for a steam-driven “instantaneous” coffee beverage making device, which was registered in Turin in 1884, is notable. Author Ian Bersten described the device as “… almost certainly the first Italian bar machine that controlled the supply of steam and water separately through the coffee. ” Unlike true espresso machines, it was a bulk brewer, and did not brew coffee “expressly” for the individual customer.
- The origin of the term “espresso” is the subject of considerable debate. Although some Anglo-American dictionaries simply refer to “pressed-out”, “espresso,” much like the English word “express”, conveys the senses of “just for you” and “quickly,” which can be related to the method of espresso preparation.
- Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world second to only oil.
- Espresso is regulated by the Italian government because it is considered an essential part of their daily life.
- Caffè mocha, in its most basic formulation, can also be referred to as hot chocolate with a shot of espresso added.
- September 29th is National Mocha Day.
- November 24th is National Espresso Day.
Espresso Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any espresso fun facts. If we can verify the facts we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Espresso.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.