The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and fish fun facts. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at fish fun facts.
Fish Fun Facts: Fish supply only 7% of the world’s protein.
- The United States imports about 3 Billion pounds of fish each year to meet consumer demand.
- June 1st is National Fish & Chips Day.
- The annual world fish catch is about 90 million tons. About 75% are salt water fish and 25% fresh water fish.
- 25 years ago large Atlantic bluefin tuna (250 to over 1,000 pounds) might sell for a penny a pound for catfood, if it sold at all. Today, that same bluefin tuna can sell for well over $100 per pound, mainly due to the popularity of sushi and sashimi around the world.
- In 2001 a 440 pound bluefin sold for $173,600 in the Japanese Tsukiji fish market – thats about $394 per pound!
- More than 90% of all fish caught are caught in the northern hemisphere.
- About 10% of the world fish catch is cod.
Fish Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any fish fun facts in the comment section. We love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts, we will give the reader credit in this article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Fish.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.