The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and frappe fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at the Frappe fun facts
Frappe Fun Facts: Frappe is a Greek foam-covered iced coffee drink made from instant coffee.
- The frappe was introduced to the world at the 1957 International Trade Fair in Thessaloniki, Greece.
- According to local lore, the invention of the coffee frappe was an accident; a Nestle’s employee inadvertently discovered the drink when he shook up cold water, instant coffee, milk and children’s instant hot chocolate mix.
- The frappe was first sold in retail in the U.S. by a small Boston-based chain. The Coffee Connection sold the frappe in the mid 1980s. The frappe gained national popularity in 1995, when large retail chains started serving blended, frozen coffee beverages.
- The word frappe first appeared in the 1848 edition of American English Dictionary. It is derived from the French word frappe meaning “to Chill.”
- The frappe is loved internationally. It has regional variations like: Adzuki (red bean) Frap in Japan, Dulce de LecheFrap in Argentina and the Coffee Jelly Frap in the Philippines.
- October 7th is National Frappe Day.
Frappe Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any frappe fun facts in the comment section or our food truck forum. We love to add to these lists. If we can verify the facts we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about the Frappe.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.