The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and frozen food fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at frozen food fun facts.
Frozen Food Fun Facts: Freezing food preserves it from the time it is prepared to the time it is eaten. Since early times, farmers, fishermen, and trappers have preserved their grains, produce, and meats in unheated buildings during the winter season.
- Frozen products do not require any added preservatives because microorganisms do not grow when the temperature of the food is below ?9.5 °C (15 °F).
- It is believed that first use of freezing food in industrial food sales took place in the 1800s. The story goes that a Russian company froze a small quantity of duck and geese and shipped them to London.
- Clarence Birdseye introduced the concept of flash freezing to the world.
- March 6th is National Frozen Food Day.
- The first complete frozen meal was not actually the TV dinner; it was food prepared for commercial airline flights.
- Freezer burn is the result of air hitting frozen food and allowing the ice to sublimate.
- According to some old wives’ tales, freezing food removes nutrients from the food. NOT TRUE!
- The Celentano brothers, who owned their own Italian specialty store in New Jersey in the 1950’s, are believed to have marketed the first frozen pizza in 1957.
Frozen Food Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any frozen food fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify the facts we will give you credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia fun facts about frozen food.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.