The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and fruit punch fun facts. As we research our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Fruit Punch Fun Facts.
Fruit Punch Fun Facts: Punch is the term for a wide assortment of drinks, both non-alcoholic and alcoholic, generally containing fruit or fruit juice.
- Fruit punch was introduced from India to the United Kingdom. This happened in the early seventeenth century, and from there its use spread to other countries.
- The word punch is a loanword from Sanskrit (pañc), meaning “five.” The drink was originally made with five ingredients: alcohol, sugar, lemon, water, and tea or spices.
- September 20th is National Rum Punch Day.
- The term punch was first recorded in British documents in 1632. At the time, most punches were of the wassail type made with a wine or brandy base.
- Around 1655, Jamaican rum came into use and the ‘modern’ punch emerged. By 1671, documents make references to punch houses.
- Punches are extremely common among parties for college and university students. These punches tend to be highly alcoholic and made with cheap ingredients.
- In 1934 A.W. Leo, Tom Yates and Ralph Harrison developed the first Hawaiian Punch recipe in a converted garage in Fullerton, Calif. They wanted a tropical-tasting syrup to add to their line of ice cream toppings sold under the trade name Pacific Citrus Products Company.
- Largest Punch Bowl-world record set by Courvoisier and Bompas & Parr. They created “The Architectural Punchbowl”, a whole room transformed into a giant punchbowl holding 4,000 liters of a new cocktail called ‘The Emperor’s Shrub.
Fruit Punch Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any fruit punch fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Fruit Punch.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.