The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and fruitcake fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at fruitcake fun facts.
Fruitcake Fun Facts: The oldest reference that can be found regarding a fruitcake dates back to Roman times. The recipe included pomegranate seeds. Pine nuts, and raisins that were mixed into barley mash. Honey, spices, and preserved fruits were added during the Middle Ages. Crusaders and hunters were reported to have carried this type of cake to sustain themselves over long periods of time away from home.
- In the early 18th century, fruit cake, then known as plum cake, was outlawed in Europe for being sinfully rich.
- It was the custom in England for unmarried wedding guests to put a slice of the cake, traditionally a dark fruitcake, under their pillow at night so they will dream of the person they will marry.
- In 2006, Americans mailed 2,952 pounds of fruit cake to soldiers stationed in Iraq
- December 27th is National Fruitcake Day.
- A pineapple fruitcake was taken on the Apollo 11 space mission.
- Every year in January, the Colorado town of Manitou Springs hosts the Great Fruitcake Toss. Competitors compete to see how far they can launch a fruit cake, and the event is to raise money for a local charity.
- Fruitcake can age 25 years and still be eaten, as long as it contains the proper preservatives and is stored in an airtight container.
Fruitcake Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Let us know about any Fruitcake Fun Facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify your fact, we will give you credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Fruitcake.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.