The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and gumdrop fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at gumdrop fun facts:
Gumdrop Fun Facts: Gumdrops are a type of candy. They are usually brightly colored gelatin- or pectin-based pieces, shaped like a truncated cone and coated in granulated sugar.
- The most popular gumdrop flavors are cherry, grape, orange, lemon, and spice flavors like clove, cinnamon, mint, and anise(licorice)
- It is believed that Percy Trusdale invented the gumdrop in 1801.
- Originally, gumdrops were flavored with spices: orange(clove), yellow(allspice), red(cinnamon), green(spearmint), purple(anise), white(wintergreen or peppermint), and black(licorice).
- Gumdrops have been popular for many years in decorating gingerbread houses.
- The NASA Apollo Command modules were nicknamed “Gumdrops” because of it’s conical shape.
- The classic board game, Candy Land, features both a Gumdrop Pass and a Gumdrop Mountain.
- Candy accounts for only 6% of the added sugar in the American diet. Soft drinks and juice account for 46%.
- Branch’s Candy holds the world record for largest gumdrop which weighted in a little larger than 10 lbs. If you had eaten it you would have consumed 15,127 calories.
Gumdrop Fun Facts We Missed
Feel free to let us know about any gumdrop fun facts we missed. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia article on Gumdrops.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.