The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and Irish coffee fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Irish Coffee fun facts:
Irish Coffee Fun Facts: Irish coffee is a cocktail consisting of hot coffee, Irish whiskey, and sugar, stirred, and topped with thick cream.
- Irish Coffee was invented in 1942. A plane of American passengers was delayed because of bad weather conditions while leaving for Newfoundland. To warm up the passengers, chef Joe Sheridan decided to put some Irish Whiskey to use into the coffee.
- The original Irish coffee recipe explicitly uses cream that has not been whipped.
- January 25th is National Irish Coffee Day.
- In 1988, the National Standards Authority of Ireland published Irish Standard I.S. 417: Irish Coffee.
- Alex Levin said: “Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.”
- The first cafe to have Irish coffee in the U.S. was the Buena Vista Cafe in 1952. The cafe was located in San Francisco, California.
- The same cafe holds the Guinness Record for largest Irish Coffee at 15 gallons.
- The village of Foynes on the southern bank of the Shannon Estuary holds an annual Irish Coffee Festival.
- Some chefs use of the back of the spoon placed just above the glass. Then they pour the cream over it, as it is slowly lifted upwards.
Irish Coffee Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Feel free to let us know about the coffee fun facts we missed. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia article on Irish Coffee
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.