The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and jalapenos fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Jalapenos Fun Facts.
Jalapenos Fun Facts: The jalapeno is a medium-sized chili pepper pod type cultivar of the species Capsicum annuum.
- About 40,000 acres are dedicated for the cultivation of Jalapenos in Mexico, primarily in the Papaloapan river basin in the north of the state of Veracruz and in the Delicias, Chihuahua area.
- China, Peru, Spain, and India are also producers of commercial chilies, including Jalapeños.
- Ancient Aztecs were reportedly the first to use jalapenos, but they dried and smoked the peppers rather than eating them.
- August 19th is National Hot & Spicy Food Day.
- It is of mild to medium pungency, 2,500 and 10,000 Scoville units in general.
- After harvest if Jalapenos are stored at 45°F they have a shelf life of up to 3-5 weeks.
- Jalapenos were the first peppers that traveled into space on a NASA shuttle.
- Nutritionally speaking, jalapenos are one of the best sources of vitamin C.
- Jalapenos help lower blood pressure, fight migraine headaches and lose weight.
Jalapenos Fun Facts We May Have Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know about the Jalapenos Fun Facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Jalapenos.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.