The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and mai tai fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Mai Tai Fun Facts.
Mai Tai Fun Facts: The Mai Tai is an alcoholic cocktail based on rum, Curaçao liqueur, and lime juice, associated with Polynesian-style settings.
- Victor J. Bergeron claimed to have invented the Mai Tai in 1944 at his restaurant, Trader Vic’s, in Oakland, CA. Vic’s rival, Don the Beachcomber, claimed to have created it in 1933 at his then-new bar named for himself (later a famous restaurant) in Hollywood. Don the Beachcomber’s recipe is more complex than that of Vic’s and tastes quite different.
- “Maita’i” is the Tahitian word for “good”
- The Mai Tai is synonymous with ‘Tiki culture‘ both past and present.
Trader Vic’s Original Mai Tai
- Pour 80 proof J. Wray & Nephew Rum over shaved ice.
- Add juice from half a fresh lime.
- Some orange curacao.
- A dash of rock candy syrup.
- A dollop of French orgeat.
- Shake vigorously.
- Add a sprig of fresh mint.
- June 30th is National Mai Tai Day.
Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Feel free to let us know about the Mai Tai fun facts we missed in the comment section or our food truck forum. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Fun Facts about the Mai Tai
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.