The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at the Margarita fun facts.
Margarita Fun Facts: The original Margarita was invented in 1948 by socialite Margarita Sames. According to the legend it was during a party at her hacienda in Acapulco that Margarita began experimenting with ‘the drink’. Looking for something to cut the dust of a hot afternoon, she mixed Tequila Herradura, Cointreau and fresh lime juice. Her cocktail kept the party going for two weeks and today the Margarita is the #1 most popular cocktail in the U.S.
- February 20th is National Margarita Day
- The Margarita was the most popularly ordered drink in 2008, representing 18 percent of all mixed drink sales in the U.S., followed by the Martini, Rum and Coke, Vodka and Tonic, and the Cosmopolitan
- On average, Americans consume 185,000 Margaritas per hour
- Atlanta, Miami, St. Louis and Nashville are among the best major metro cities for the Margarita
- The first frozen margarita machine was invented in 1971 and it was based off a soft-serve ice cream machine
- The U.S. is the number one tequila market – larger and more important than Mexico
Margarita Fun Facts We Missed
Please feel free to let us know if we may have missed some margarita fun facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about the Margarita
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.