The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and martini fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at the Martini fun facts.
Martini Fun Facts: The martini is a cocktail made with gin and vermouth, and garnished with an olive or a lemon twist. Over the years, the martini has become one of the best-known mixed alcoholic beverages.
- By one widely accepted account, the martini is a descendant of the Martinez, an older, sweeter, but similar cocktail, which consists of (approximately) two ounces of sweet vermouth, one ounce gin (specifically, Old Tom gin, a sweetened variant), two dashes maraschino cherry liquid, and one dash bitters, shaken with ice, strained, and served with a twist of lemon.
- June 19th is National Martini Day.
- W Somerset Maugham declared that “Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other,”
- The first official mention of Martini was in The New and Improved Illustrated Bartending Manual in 1888.
- It is said that prominent figures like Frank Sinatra, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Alfred Hitchcock, Winston Churchill and F, Scott Fitzgerald drank their Martinis from classic Martini glasses.
- You can actually enjoy a $10,000 Martini at the Algonquin Hotel in New York City – the garnish? A beautiful, REAL radiant cut Diamond.
Martini Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know about any martini fun facts we missed. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about the Martini
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.