The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and nacho fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we look at Nacho fun facts.
Nacho Fun Facts: Nachos originated in the city of Piedras Negras, Mexico in 1943. The wives of US soldiers visited a restaurant called the Victory club after it had closed for the day. The maitre d’ Ignacio “nacho” Anaya, invented a new snack for them with what little he had available in the kitchen: tortillas and cheese. Anaya cut the tortillas into triangles, added cheddar cheese, and added sliced jalapeno peppers. He then served the dish calling it Nachos especiales.
- The creator never sought to claim ownership of the dish. His son contacted a lawyer in 1960 to explore the possibility. Unfortunately, too much time had passed, so the recipe was free to the public.
- In Mexico nachos are called ‘totopos’.
- In their simplest form, nachos are tortilla chips covered in nacho cheese or shredded cheese and salsa.
- Nachos is the food most craved by pregnant women.
- The first known appearance of the word “nachos” in English dates to 1949, from the book A Taste of Texas.
- A school in Kansas holds the record for the largest plate of nachos in the world. The platter weighed a whopping 4,689 pounds. 2,200 of those pounds were nacho cheese alone. Servings of the 80-foot creation were sold to the masses for a dollar each in an effort to raise funds for charity.
- November 6th is National Nacho Day.
Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any nacho fun facts in the comment section or our food truck forum. If we can verify the fact we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Nachos.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.