National food holidays have been around for decades. Unfortunately, most of them aren’t real holidays, but they sure are fun to celebrate. Then again, it’s always nice to have an extra excuse for enjoying certain foods. What makes a work day more fun than honoring everything from National Hamburger Day to National Corn Chip Day? We cover them all so you always know what food your food truck should be celebrating.
National Corn Chip Day Fun Facts
A corn chip is a snack food made from cornmeal fried in oil or baked, usually in the shape of a small noodle or scoop.
- January 29th is National Corn Chip Day.
- The original mass market corn chip was the Fritos Corn Chip, first sold in the 1930’s.
- Charles Elmer Doolin bought the patent for “Fritos” from a Mexican man for $100.
- In the Southwestern US, a popular dish, Frito pie, is made with corn chips and chili.
- In some areas, it is popular to pour the chili into a bag of corn chips and eat the mixture directly from the bag. This is called the “Walking Taco.”
- “Frito Chili Pie” was invented in the 1960’s by Teresa Hernández, a cook at Woolworth’s lunch counter in Santa Fe, NM.
How To Observe National Corn Chip Day
- Whip up a batch of corn chips. Use them as an ingredient in one of your food truck dishes for your customers.
- Use #NationalCornChipDay to post on social media. Facebook | Twitter
National National Corn Chip Day Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any Corn Chip fun facts in the comment section. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
There is a National Food Holiday for almost every day of the year. Don’t miss a single one! Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.
REFERENCE: Corn Chip Fun Facts