National food holidays have been around for decades. Unfortunately, most of them aren’t real holidays, but they sure are fun to celebrate. Then again, it’s always nice to have an extra excuse for enjoying certain foods. What makes a work day more fun than honoring everything from National Hamburger Day to National Fig Newton Day? We cover them all so you always know what food your food truck should be celebrating.
National Fig Newton Day Fun Facts
A fig newton is a soft cookie filled with fig jam. A machine invented in 1891 made the mass production of Fig Newtons possible. James Henry Mitchell invented a machine which worked like a funnel within a funnel; the inside funnel supplied jam, while the outside funnel pumped out the dough, this produced an endless length of filled cookie, that was then cut into smaller pieces.
- January 16th is National Fig Newton Day.
- Fig Newtons were created in 1891 by the Kennedy Biscuit Works in Cambridgeport, Massachusetts.
- According to Nabisco: “Fig Newtons were named after either Sir Isaac Newton or the town of Newton, Massachusetts.”
- Fig Newtons were one of the first commercially baked products in America.
- Fig Newtons are the 3rd most popular cookie in the U.S., over 1 billion are consumed each year.
How To Observe National Fig Newton Day
- Tap into your inner baker and whip together a batch of fig newtons for your customers. Learn how to make homemade fig newtons [here]
- Use #NationalFigNewtonDay to post on social media. Facebook | Twitter
National Fig Newton Day Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any fig newton fun facts in the comment section. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
There is a National Food Holiday for almost every day of the year. Don’t miss a single one! Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.
REFERENCE: Fig Newton Fun Facts