The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and popover fun facts. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Popover fun facts.
Popover Fun Facts: A popover is a doughy type of muffin made from egg batter. As it bakes, the dough rises to “pop over” the edge of the muffin tin and form a hollow shell. You can then fill the center with butter and jam, gravy, or a delicious fruit sauce.
- The popover is an American version of Yorkshire pudding and similar batter puddings made in England since the 17th century.
- The oldest known reference to popovers is in a letter of E. E. Stuart’s in 1850.
- The first cookbook to print a recipe for popovers was M. N. Henderson, Practical Cooking, 1876.
- March 10th is National Blueberry Popover Day.
- May 3rd is National Raspberry Popover Day
- September 1st is National Cherry Popover Day.
- The ‘invention’ of popovers, like many food dishes, most likely took place by accident when someone used too much liquid in a recipe.
Popover Fun Facts We Missed
Please feel free to let us know if we may have missed some popover fun facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Popovers
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.