The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and Popsicle fun facts. Because of this, during our research for our daily content, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in a new section titled “Did You Know?”.
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Popsicle fun facts.
- The inventor was Frank Epperson. In 1905 he left a mixture of powdered soda and water out on the porch, which contained a stir stick. That night, temperatures in San Francisco reached record low temperature. When he woke the next morning, he discovered that it had frozen to the stir stick, creating a fruit flavored ice treat that he named the epsicle. 18 years later he patented it and called it the Popsicle.
- The ice pop was introduced to the public at an Oakland ball for firemen in 1922.
- The Popsicle company claims that its annual sales are over two billion and that its best-selling flavor is cherry.
- On June 22, 2005, Snapple tried to beat the existing Guinness Book of World Records entry of a 1997 Dutch 21-foot ice pop by attempting to erect a 25-foot ice pop in New York City. The 17.5 short tons of frozen juice that had been brought from Edison, New Jersey in a freezer truck melted faster than expected, dashing hopes of a new record. Spectators fled to higher ground as firefighters hosed away the kiwi-strawberry-flavored mess.
- May 27th is National Grape Popsicle Day.
- August 26th is National Cherry Popsicle Day.
Popsicle Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any popsicle fun facts in the comment section of our food truck forum. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify the facts we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Popsicles.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.