The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and pots de creme fun facts. Because of this, during our research for our daily content, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in a new section titled “Did You Know?”.
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Pots de Creme fun facts.
Pots De Creme Fun Facts. Pots de Creme refers to both the custard dessert as well as the small lidded pots this dessert is served in.
- Pot-au-creme or pots de creme, or translates from French to English as “pot of cream”.
- Technically the pots de creme is a lightly set, baked custard.
- The French do not have a word for “custard” the dish is simply referred to as “creme”.
- Custards as we know them today date back to the Middle Ages. Then it was used as a filling for a Flan or a Tart.
- The word custard is derived from “crustade” which is a tart with a crust.
- After the 16th century fruit creams became popular. It was about this time that custards were made in individual dishes rather than a filling in a crust.
- The pots may also be referred to as “petits pots“.
- The traditional pots de creme flavor was vanilla but recipes can be found in many flavors including the very prominent chocolate as well as caramel, pumpkin or coffee.
- August 27th is National Pot de Creme Day.
Fun Facts We Missed
If we missed any pots de creme fun facts, please feel free to let us know in the comment section or our food truck forum. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify the facts we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Pot de Creme.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.