The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and quiche fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Quiche Fun Facts.
Quiche Fun Facts: Quiche is a savory, open-faced pastry crust with a filling of savory custard with cheese, meat, seafood, and/or vegetables.
- Quiche can be served hot or cold. It is part of French cuisine but is also popular in other countries, particularly as party food.
- May 20th is National Quiche Lorraine Day.
- Quiche lorraine is a popular variant that was originally an open pie with a filling of custard with lardons. Modern preparations of the dish usually include mature cheese and freshly-cooked bacon as ingredients.
- The classic French Quiche actually originated in Germany, in the medieval kingdom of Lothringen, which was under German rule. (Renamed Lorraine when it came under French control – TADA!!! Quiche Lorraine).
- Quiche is considered a French dish, however custards in pastry were known in English cuisine at least as early as the 14th century.
- The word quiche is derived from the German word for cake, kuchen.
- The largest quiche was created in Paris, November 22, 1997 by Chef Alain Marcotullio. He used 125 quarts of milk, 1,928 eggs, 156 pounds of bacon, 134 pounds of butter and more than 140 pounds of flour.
- During the 1900’s, quiche was often considered to be a food avoided by “real” men, as it often contained only small quantities of meat.
Quiche Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any Quiche Fun Facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Quiche.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.