The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and sandwich fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Sandwich fun facts.
Sandwich Fun Facts: A sandwich is a food item commonly consisting of two or more slices of bread, with one or more fillings between them. Sandwiches are a widely popular type of lunch food, typically taken to work, school, or picnics to be eaten as part of a packed lunch. The bread can be used as it is, or it can be coated with any condiments to enhance flavor and texture. They are also widely sold in restaurants and cafes, served hot or cold.
- Sandwiches are thought to be the namesake of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, following the claim that he was the eponymous inventor of the sandwich.
- The first written usage of the English word appeared in Edward Gibbon’s journal, in longhand, referring to “bits of cold meat” as a “Sandwich”.
- May 4th is National Hoagie Day.
- October 9th is National Grinder, Hoagie, Hero Day.
- November 3rd is National Sandwich Day.
- The average American will have consumed 1,500 PB&Js by the time they graduate high school.
- The most people making sandwiches simultaneously is 607 and was achieved by British Sandwich Association (UK), in Manchester, UK, on May 14, 2013.
- The world’s largest sandwich weighed 5,440 pounds.
- The most expensive sandwich ever sold was a grilled toast sandwich that seemed to have an image of the Virgin Mary on it. It sold for $28,000 in 2004.
- Depending on the region, hero sandwiches have been called many other names, including hoagie, grinder, and sub. The latter comes from Benedetto Capaldo’s Italian deli in New London, Conn., during World War II. The deli received an order from the nearby US Naval submarine base for 500 hero sandwiches. From that day forward any time a customer ordered a hero sandwich the employees at the deli called it a “sub.”
- Americans eat more than 300 million sandwiches every day – an amazing statistic since there are slightly more than 300 million Americans.
- The most popular sandwich in America is the standard ham sandwich (ham, cheese, and mustard or mayonnaise), followed by the BLT.
Sandwich Fun Facts We Missed
Feel free to let us know if we missed any sandwich fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about the Sandwich.