The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Sausage Fun Facts
Sausage Fun Facts: A sausage is a food usually made from ground meat, often pork, beef or veal, along with salt, spices and breadcrumbs, with a skin around it.
- Typically, a sausage is formed in a casing traditionally made from intestine, but sometimes synthetic.
- A sausage consists of meat, cut into pieces or ground, and filled into a casing, with other ingredients. Ingredients may include a cheap starch filler such as breadcrumbs, seasoning and flavorings such as spices, and sometimes others. The meat may be from any animal, but is often pork, beef, or veal.
- October 11th is National Sausage Pizza Day.
- The word sausage is derived from the Latin word salsus which means something salted.
- Sausages are mentioned in The Odyssey which was written by Homer more than 2,700 years ago.
- Sausages were called bangers during World War II because they contained so much water they exploded when fried.
- The longest sausage measured 38.99 miles in length and was created in Ploiesti City, Romania on 1 December 2014.
Sausage Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Feel free to let us know about the sausage fun facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Sausage.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.