The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and soup fun facts. As we research for our daily content, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in a new section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Soup fun facts.
Soup Fun Facts: Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm (but may be cool or cold). It is made by combining ingredients such as meat and vegetables with stock, juice, water, or another liquid. Hot soups are additionally characterized by boiling solid ingredients in liquids in a pot until the flavors are extracted, forming a broth.
- The earliest archaeological evidence for the consumption of soup dates back to 6000 BC, and it was hippopotamus soup. Do you suppose there are any mobile food trucks that will bring back this retro cuisine?
- January is National Soup Month.
- February 4th is National Homemade Soup Day.
- Traditionally, soups are classified into two main groups: clear soups and thick soups. The established French classifications of clear soups are bouillon and consommé. Thick soups are classified depending upon the type of thickening agent used: purées are vegetable soups thickened with starch.
- Soup isn’t always served hot. In warmer climates like Spain, cold soup alternatives, like tomato-based gazpacho, are popular.
- The Campbell Company was the first to invent condensed soup. They introduced it to the world in 1897.
- Americans eat more than 10 billion bowls of soup each year.
- Women are twice as likely to order soup for lunch as men.
- When Andy Warhol was once asked why he painted the iconic soup cans, he said: “I used to have the same (Campbell’s soup) lunch every day for 20 years.”
Soup Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any soup fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Soup.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.