The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and sundae fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Sundae Fun Facts.
Sundae Fun Facts: The sundae is a sweet ice cream dessert. It typically consists of one or more scoops of ice cream topped with sauce or syrup, and in some cases other toppings including sprinkles, whipped cream, maraschino cherries, or other fruits (e.g., bananas and pineapple in a banana split.).
- According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the origin of the term sundae is obscure. It is generally accepted that the spelling “sundae” derives from the English word Sunday, or from the German – Sonntag, which means Sunday.
- Various American localities have claimed to be the birthplace of the ice cream sundae,including Two Rivers, Wisconsin; Plainfield, Illinois; Evanston, Illinois; New York City; New Orleans, Louisiana; Ithaca, New York; Cleveland, Ohio; and Buffalo, New York.
- At a price of US$1,000, the most expensive ice cream sundae is the Serendipity Golden Opulence Sundae, sold by Serendipity 3 restaurant in New York City. The dessert consists of five scoops of Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream infused with Madagascar vanilla, covered in 23-carat edible gold leaf, rare Amedei Porcelana and Chuao chocolate, American Golden caviar, passion fruit,orange, Armagnac, candied fruits from Paris, and marzipan cherries, and decorated with real gold dragées. The sundae is served in a baccarat Harcourt crystal goblet with an 18-carat-gold spoon.
- There is actually an ice cream diet designed for weight loss.
- August 25th is National Banana Split Day.
- November 11th is National Sundae Day.
Sundae Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any sundae fun facts in the comment section or our food truck forum. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify the facts we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Sundaes.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.