The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and torte fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at torte fun facts.
Torte Fun Facts: A torte (from Italian torta) is a rich, usually multi-layered, cake that is filled with whipped cream, butter creams,mousses, jams, or fruits.
- When comparing tortes and cakes, you will notice that the cake is lighter than the torte. Cakes are made with cake flour alone.
- Tortes are commonly baked in a spring form pan.
- The most well-known of the typical tortes include the Austrian Sacher torte.
- Sacher Torte, a chocolate cake filled with apricot jam and covered with chocolate icing. It was created in Vienna in 1832 by a 16 year old apprentice baker named Franz Sacher for Prince Metternich.
- March 13th is National Coconut Torte Day.
- August 22nd is National Pecan Torte Day.
- December 5th is National Sacher Torte Day.
- Recipes similar to that of the Sacher torte appeared as early as the eighteenth century, one instance being in the 1718 cookbook of Conrad Hagger.
Torte Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any torte fun facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Tortes.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.