The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Valentine’s Day fun facts.
Valentine’s Day Fun Facts: Richard Cadbury, of Cadbury cream egg fame, invented the first box of Valentine’s Day themed chocolates in the 1880s.
- Over 50 million roses are given on Valentine’s Day.
- 73% of people who buy flowers are men.
- In Medieval times people who couldn’t write their names signed with an ‘X’ in front of a witness. The ‘X’ was then kissed to show sincerity. Many believe this is how the ‘X’ symbol became synonymous with the kiss.
- On average men spend $130 for their dates on Valentine’s Day.
- Mothers and wives are the biggest givers on Valentine’s Day, providing 33% of all gifts.
- More than 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate will be sold for Valentine’s Day.
- Even if they don’t make the final purchases until the last few days, 75% of men testify that they plan ahead for Valentine’s Day.
- On Valentine’s Day, women prefer to open their gifts after a nice dinner while men prefer to receive presents first thing in the morning.
- In the 1800s physicians commonly advised broken hearted patients to eat chocolate to calm their pining.
- Throughout history, chocolate has always been seen as an aphrodisiac: Madame DuBarry served chocolates to all of her suiters, Cassanova consumed chocolate instead of champagne to induce romance, and the ancient Aztec king, Montezuma believed chocolate would make him virile.
Valentine’s Day Fun Facts We Missed
Please feel free to let us know if we may have missed some Valentine’s Fun Facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Valentine’s Day
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.