The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and waffle fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Waffle fun facts.
Waffle Fun Facts: A waffle is a leavened batter or dough cooked between two metal plates of a waffle iron until it is golden-brown.
- The birth of the waffle dates back to the middle ages, where they were cooked over a fire using two metal plates with wooden handles. The plates back then often had the grid pattern we know today, but some waffles had fancier designs, like a coat of arms.
- The patent for the waffle iron was submitted by Cornelius Swarthout in 1869.
- August 24th is National Waffle Day.
- The word “waffle” first appears in the English language in 1725.
- The World’s Record for the largest waffle weighs 110 lb 3.68 oz and was created by Stichting Gouda Oogst (Netherlands) in Nieuwe Markt, Gouda, Netherlands, on 29 June 2013. The waffle had a diameter of 8 ft 1.24 in.
- Patrick Bertoletti holds ate 29 Waffles in ten minutes in 2007, beating fellow eating champion, Joey Chestnut in the World Waffle Eating Championships.
Waffle Fun Facts We May Have Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know about the waffle fun facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Waffles.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.