MONROE, LA – The food truck trend sweeping through the nation is now official in Monroe.
On Wednesday afternoon, Monroe mayor Jamie Mayo signed the mobile food vendor ordinance.
Last week, the city council voted to pass the final adoption of the ordinance, 3 to 1.
“It will open up new avenues for the enjoyment of life. I think people will find in Monroe the excitement that many other cities around the country have found,” said councilman Ray Armstrong, who wrote the ordinance. He said it all started when community members came to him with the request of bringing the food truck culture to Monroe.
The ordinance was originally met with opposition.
“People were concerned about the regulations being unfair for mobile food vendors, but they have to understand that they are highly regulated, and in fact have even more regulation than brick and mortar restaurants. So they are regulated to ensure a positive experience,” said Armstrong.
Mayo says the first draft did not have designated areas — a concern for local business in Monroe’s Southside.
Changes were made to include specialized areas and regulations on food trucks.
Find the entire article at myarklamiss.com <here>