PENSACOLA, FL – Food trucks are still months away from being allowed to operate within city limits, and two proposed amendments to Pensacola’s city charter appear to be dead.
Pensacola City Council met Thursday with a meeting agenda loaded with potentially game-changing proposals to consider. By the end of the night, little had been accomplished.
The issue of how food trucks should be regulated within city limits finally came back to council after months of redrafting at the city’s planning board.
The proposed ordinance would have allowed food trucks in city limits, but not within 200 feet of an established restaurant. The push to bring food trucks to downtown Pensacola has been going on for roughly three years now, as several speakers reminded the council.
Downtown restaurant owner Nick Zangari said he could allow food trucks downtown, but wanted them kept in one area. Several food truck owners said they were willing to work with the city to do whatever it will take to allow them to get downtown.
Councilman Charles Bare, who proposed the food truck regulations in the first place, said he would never support a buffer restriction to keep food trucks away from restaurants.
After several failed motions, council eventually agreed to table the issue until next month so Bare could come back with a properly formatted ordinance, which he said he didn’t have Thursday.