The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history of basket weaving and cookie fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at cookie fun facts.
Cookie Fun Facts: The first commercial cookie in the U.S. was the Animal Cracker, introduced in 1902.
- The Oreo, the best-selling cookie of the 20th century, was developed and introduced by the American company Nabisco, in 1912.
- July 9th is National Sugar Cookie Day.
- December 4th is National Cookie Day.
- The U.S. leads the world as the biggest cookie bakers and eaters, spending more than $550 million annually on Oreos alone.
- The Girl Scouts first began selling cookies In the 1920s.
- In 1989, New Mexico named the ‘bizcochito’ its official state cookie. Bizcochito, derived from the spanish word ‘bizcocho’ which means biscuit, is a delicious shortbread cookie flavored with anise and topped with cinnamon sugar.
- The U.S. has a National Cookie Cutter Historical Museum located within the Joplin Museum Complex in Joplin, Missouri.
- The official state cookie of both Massachusetts and Pennsylvania is the chocolate chip cookie.
- Early American tinsmiths began making cookie cutters by hand back in the 1700s.
- Christmas cookies date back to Medieval Europe.
- American cookie jars evolved from British biscuit jars and first appeared on the scene during the Depression in the 1930s when housewives began making more cookies at home, rather than buying them at the bakery, and needed containers for them.
The top 10 selling commercial cookies in the U.S. are:
- Nabisco Oreo
- Nabisco Chips Ahoy
- Nabisco Oreo Double Stuff
- Pepperidge Farm Milano
- Private Label Chocolate Chip
- Little Debbie Nutty Bar
- Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream
- Nabisco Chips Ahoy Chewy
- Nabisco Nilla Vanilla Wafers
- Private Label Sandwich Cookies
Try out this recipe from the Tacofino Food Truck for Chocolate Diablo Cookies.
Cookie Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any cookie fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Cookies.