The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and pecan fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Pecan fun facts.
Pecan Fun Facts: The pecan, Carya illinoinensis, is a species of hickory, native to south-central North America.
- “Pecan” is from an Algonquian word, meaning a nut requiring a stone to crack.
- It would take 11,624 pecans, stacked end to end, to reach the top of the Empire State Building in New York City.
- Texas adopted the pecan tree as its state tree in 1919. In fact, Texas Governor James Hogg liked pecan trees so much that he asked if a pecan tree could be planted at his gravesite when he died.
- Albany, Georgia, which boasts more than 600,000 pecan trees, is the pecan capital of the U.S. Albany hosts the annual National Pecan Festival, which includes a race, parade, pecan-cooking contest, the crowning of the National Pecan Queen and many other activities.
- Pecan trees usually range in height from 70 to 100 feet, but some trees grow as tall as 150 feet or higher. Native pecan trees – those over 150 years old – have trunks more than three feet in diameter.
- There are over 1,000 varieties of pecans. Many are named for Native American Indian tribes, including Cheyenne, Mohawk, Sioux, Choctaw and Shawnee.
- The U.S. produces about 80 percent of the world’s pecan crop.
- Before a shelled pecan is ready to be sold, it must first be cleaned, sized, sterilized, cracked and finally, shelled.
- April 14th is National Pecan Day.
- June 23rd is National Pecan Sandy Day.
- July 12th is National Pecan Pie Day.
- September 21st is National Pecan Cookie Day [VIDEO]
Pecan Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any pecan fun facts in the comment section or food truck forum. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Pecans.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.