Trust can be broken in your personal life or at work. During college, I had a manager that was discovered to be stealing tips from wait staff and the company. This was not only a surprise, but disappointing to learn someone I was supposed to look up to was broke the trust of myself and other employees at the restaurant. To make matters worse, the manager was a family member of the owners.
Having your trust broken is one of the greatest pains you can endure in life. Sure, you can eventually forgive, but oftentimes it’s impossible to forget. In this piece, I share quotes and captions about people that have broken trust of relationships and friendships.
Broken Trust Quotes
It only take seconds to destroy it.
- “Broken trust is hard to heal because we’re not even trying to heal it. We’re just trying to make ourselves feel safe.” —Mira Kirshenbaum
- “Betrayal is the worst… and the key to moving past it is to identify what led up to it in the first place.” —-Charles J. Orlando
- “That’s the thing about trust. It’s like broken glass. You can put it back together, but the cracks are always visible—like scars that never fully heal.” —Hope Collier
- “If a person already broke your trust once, he will never hesitate to do it again.” —Anonymous
- “Betraying someone once can be a mistake. Betraying someone twice is a choice.” —Garima Soni
- “Don’t trust the person who has broken faith once.” —William Shakespeare
- “Trust can be broken in just a few seconds, but it takes years to heal.” —Rei Anthony Albon
- “When trust is broken, there is not any medicine to recover that again, as it was before, even you try hard to gain back.” —Ehsan Sehgal
- “The problem with trust is that if it is broken, then all acts committed by the perpetrator come under the purview of suspicion.” —Ravi Subramanian
- “If someone breaks your trust, it just shows that they have been pretenders all along.” —Samuel Zulu
Broken Trust Quotes For Relationship
Has your trust been broken by the one you treasure? You might relate to the quotes below:
- “It takes two people to make a lie work: the person who tells it, and the one who believes it.” —- Jodi Picoult
- “Let’s call cheating what it is: a complete betrayal of trust.” —Greg Behrendt
- “You don’t repair that relationship by sitting down and talking about trust or making promises. Actually, what rebuilds it is living it and doing things differently.” —Patricia Hewitt
- “There’s a time when it’s too late to do what you should have been doing all along.” —Carolyn Brown
- “It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.” —Confucius
- “When you care about someone, you can’t just turn that off because you learn that they betrayed you.” —Paula Stokes
- “Pride has kept her running when love had betrayed her.” —Susan Elizabeth Phillips
- “It was a mistake, you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine, for trusting you.” —-David Levithan
- “I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on, I can’t believe you.” —Friedrich Nietzsche
- “I would rather have my enemy’s sword pierce my heart than my friend’s dagger stabs me in the back.” —Michele Bardsley
Broken Trust Quotes for Friendship
It’s truly heartbreaking when you lose a friend because of broken trust. Read the quotes below:
- “Some of our bad friends smile and laugh with us. Then, they go behind our back and laugh at us… with their ‘good’ friends.” —Mitta Xindlu
- “If you have been brutally broken, but still have the courage to be gentle to others, then you deserve a love deeper than the ocean itself.” —Nikita Gill
- “I may have trust issues, but some people seem to have an issue with the responsibility of being trusted.” —Melchor Lim
“Everyone suffers at least one bad betrayal in their lifetime. It’s what united us. The trick is not to let it destroy your trust in others when that happens. Don’t let them take that from you.” —-Sherrilyn Kenyon
- “It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” —William Blake
- “Sometimes, trusting a friend is the hardest thing to do, even the closest friends can become enemies.” —Anonymous
- “It’s the same old story you’ve heard a thousand times. Somebody’s trust gets broken. Somebody’s left behind.” —Travis Tritt
- “To forgive someone who hurt you is easy but to trust them again is next to impossible.” —Anurag Prakash Ray
Trust is gained.
Losing Trust and Respect Quotes
These quotes will make you see the value of trust and respect.
- “The healing of broken trust is a natural process. Trust itself is natural.” —Mira Kirshenbaum
- “Trust is that tiny thread that holds your brand together; when trust is torn or tampered with, you will have a broken brand; your business will fall.” —Bernard Kelvin Clive
- “Trust is earned, respect is given, and loyalty is demonstrated. Betrayal of any one of those is to lose all three.” —Ziad K. Abdelnour
- “Don’t ever break someone’s trust. Once you do, then nobody wants to do business with you.” —Robert Budi Hartono
- “It’s hard to tell who has your back, from who has it long enough just to stab you in it.” —Nicole Richie
You Might Like: 115+ Overthinking Quotes That Help You Stop Doubting Yourself
- “You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment unless you trust enough.” —Frank Crane
- “Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities.” —Patti Roberts
- “It is strange how often a heart must be broken before the years can make it wise.” —Sara Teasdale
- “If you give your trust to a person who does not deserve it, you actually give him the power to destroy you.” —-Khaled Saad
- “For there to be betrayal, there would have to have been trusting first.” —Suzanne Collins
Betrayed Trust Captions
Betrayal is the worst! Check out the quotes below.
- “Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” —Albert Einstein
- “Never force yourself to trust someone again, as you won’t be able to trust your decisions in the future if the person betrays you again.” —Garima Soni
- “Worst betrayal always comes from the people we trust a lot.” —Garima Soni
- “Not everyone can be trusted. I think we all have to be very selective about the people we trust.” —Shelley Long
- “Trust him not with your secrets, who, when left alone in your room, turns over your papers.” —Johann Kaspar Lavater
- “The total act of betrayal is broken trust.” —Notes from Nora
- “Betrayal is very sour. Moreso when the one you’ve been trusting turns out to be the one you should be fearing.” —Mitta Xinindlu
- “When trust falls out of the socket, the corsage of bonding gets unpinned.” —Spriha Kant
- “Some people are willing to betray years of friendship just to get a little bit of the spotlight.” —Lauren Conrad
- “Beware the person who stabs you and then tells the world that they’re the world, that they’re the one who’s bleeding.” —Jill Blakeway
You Broke My Trust Quotes
Trust is like a paper.
If someone broke your trust, these quotes will comfort you.
- “One of these reasons is that the person who’s broken your trust is very possibly not as bad as he seems to be right now.” —Mira Kirshenbaum
- “When someone breaks your trust, don’t feel stupid for trusting them. You didn’t do anything wrong. They’re just an untrustworthy person.” —Sonya Parker
- “The trust has broken down. It will take some time to change attitudes and attitudes are going to be needed to develop trust.” —Jim Leach
- “Trust is like that. You can break it for a good reason. But it still remains broken.” —Harlan Coben
- “If offering apologies and making promises fixed broken trust, there’d be no broken trust left to fix.” —Tim Cole
- “It’s sad to know I’m done. But looking back, I’ve got a lot of great memories.” —Bonnie Blair
- “When someone has broken the trust you bestowed in them, they’re likely to do it again. Be wary before speaking in front of them on any matter you do not want to be repeated.” —RJ Intindola
- “You are going to break your promise. I understand. And I hold my hands over the ears of my heart so that I will not hate you.” —Catherynne M. Valente
- “It breaks my heart to know I will never be able to trust you again. I’ve learned so many lies and each time it takes a piece of me that you will never get back again.” —Karen Kostyla
- “Broken trust forces us, first, to acknowledge a painful reality we may have chosen to ignore, then, to make some difficult decisions.” —Dr. Jane Greer
Broken Trust Captions
Feel free to use these quotes for your posts.
- At the end of the day, it’s your loss for losing my trust.
- Every broken piece of my trust will resent you for betraying me.
- Trust is a one-way ticket. Tear it and you’ll never play a role in my life again.
- Broken trust fills a heart with fear and doubt.
- Breaking someone’s trust is dangerous. It’s sad how people can still take the risk.
- A broken trust fixed is a miracle done with love.
- There’s peace taken in every trust broken.
- It takes strength to lose to break one’s trust.
- Broken trust teaches you the power of doubt.
- Did your heart ever hear the whimpers of my broken trust?
The best proof of love is trust.
Broken Trust Quotes For Him
Check out these quotes for “him”.
- “I had trusted him. I had even trusted him after he betrayed me. I was too open for my own good. I still gave that man my heart even after he destroyed it.” —Jacquelin Simon Gunn
- “Betrayal is common for men with no conscience.” —Toba Beta
- “When someone stabs you in the back and then apologizes, accept the apology, but don’t give him the knife back to do it again.” —Bohdi Sanders
- “A person may break your heart and break your trust, but never ever give him the power to break your spirit.” —Anonymous
You Might Like: 159+ Resilience Quotes That Encourage You Through Hard Times
- “It’s amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces.” —Ella Harper
- “Loving someone is giving them the power to break your heart, but trusting them not to.” —Julianne Moore
- “After all, damn it, what does being in love mean if you can’t trust a person.” —Evelyn Waugh
- “Do not trust all men, but trust men of worth; the former course is silly, the letter a mark of prudence.” —Democritus
- “The worst part about being lied to is knowing that you weren’t worth the truth.” —Mishaela
- “Never trust a man who speaks well of everybody.” —John Churton Collins
Broken Trust Quotes For Her
The moment when trust is broken.
- “One who is fed on promises eats from an empty bowl.” —Marsha Hinds
- “Trust but verify.” —Rumi
- “Consistency is the true foundation of trust. Either keep your promises or do not make them.” —Roy T. Bennett
- “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” —Shannon L. Alder
- “Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.” —Aesop
- “If someone betrays you once, it’s their fault. If they betray you twice, it’s your fault.” —Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Trust is a double-edged sword. It could give you hope, but it could cut you in an instant when it was broken.” –Tiffany King
- “Betrayal is the only truth that sticks.” —Arthur Miller
- “You keep believing you are loved and valued until they leave you naked.” —Daniel Oluwaseun
- “When no one you known tells the truth, you learn to see under the surface.” —Cassandra Clare
Can You Fix Relationships Where Trust Has Been Broken?
Yes, you can earn someone’s trust back but it will take a lot of time and effort to repair. The process will not be easy either. You can lose trust much faster than you can build it up. Here are some ways to repair broken trust.
- Communicate as much as possible – Broken trust could be a result of a misunderstanding. When someone fails to tell you the truth and you had to learn about it from someone else, it will totally break your heart. This is where communication comes in. Give your partner a chance to explain themselves and ask for your apology. Tell them how you felt about their action and what they could’ve done to avoid hurting you that way. It’s difficult at first but let them assure you and prove to you that they are sincere. Chances are not for everyone, but if you think it’s worth another try, then don’t hesitate to let them know your thoughts.
- Learn From The Past – If you and your partner are really eager to work things out in your relationship, learn from your past mistakes instead of holding them against each other. Dwelling in that place where you fell apart will keep you from growing as a better couple because you’ll really struggle to build the trust you once lost. After the conversation, watch them show you what they just promised they will do. It’s okay to establish boundaries while you see where things will go. Give them the benefit of the doubt.
- Consistency is key – The beauty in this challenge though is the power of love and forgiveness. Like what they always say, “action speaks louder than words”. It’s hard to stop judging them in this phase but let them add weight to their words. If they’re sincere enough, they will change for the better and do the right thing consistently. Going back to square one does take a lot of patience so if you can’t trust the person yet, at least trust the process.
Nowadays, dogs are often more loyal than the people we meet. No matter how good you are, someone will find a reason to betray you and break your heart. I hope you learned something from the quotes above. Remember: love a lot but trust a few.