There’s so much bad in the world it can be hard to imagine still plenty of good on our little planet. Demonstrating compassion to other people’s situations and challenges is one way to demonstrate kindness and love. Even the smallest gestures of compassion can lead to a huge impact in someones lives. Plus, it promotes physical and mental well-being.
If you want to find out the significance of showing compassion to those in need, I recommend reading everyone of these quotes.
- “The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” – John Green
- “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” – Maya Angelou
- “We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- “Empathy is really the opposite of spiritual meanness. It’s the capacity to understand that every war is both won and lost. And that someone else’s pain is as meaningful as your own.” – Barbara Kingsolver
- “Being compassionate towards your fellow man is at no cost to you.” – Anonymous
- “When we’re looking for compassion, we need someone who is deeply rooted, is able to bend and, most of all, embraces us for our strengths and struggles.” – Brené Brown
You Might Like: 115+ Overthinking Quotes That Help You Stop Doubting Yourself
- “Compassion is passion with more heart.” – Anonymous
- “Wisdom, compassion, and courage are the three universally recognized moral qualities of men.” – Confucius
- “Compassion is the keen awareness of the interdependence of all things.” – Thomas Merton
- “We are all different. Don’t judge, understand instead” – Roy T. Bennett
- “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” – Dalai Lama
- “We can’t heal the world today but we can begin with a voice of compassion, a heart of love, an act of kindness.” – Mary Davis
- “If you truly want to make the world a better place, be compassionate.” – Anonymous
- “Sharing the love is more than a want, it’s a necessity.” – Anonymous
- “Living life without compassion is a selfish life.” – Anonymous
Compassion Quotes from the Bible
- “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” – Ephesians 4:32
- “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” – Colossians 3:12
- “And the LORD said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” – Exodus 33:19
- Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!” – Isaiah 30:18
- “Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.” – 1 Peter 3:8
- “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.” – 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
- “Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.” – Romans 12:15
“They will neither hunger nor thirst, nor will the desert heat or the sun beat down on them. He who has compassion on them will guide them and lead them beside springs of water.” – Isaiah 49:10
- “As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him.” – Psalm 103:13
- “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin.” – Hebrews 4:15
- “As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.” – James 5:11
- “Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love.” – Lamentations 3:32
- “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.” – Psalms 51:1
- “The LORD is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion.” – Psalms 116:5
- “If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?” – 1 John 3:17
Love and Compassion Quotes
- “Our job on earth isn’t to criticize, reject, or judge. Our purpose is to offer a helping hand, compassion, and mercy. We are to do unto others as we hope they would do unto us.” – Dana Arcuri
- “Hope starts when love and compassion are present.” – Anonymous
- “Our wings are small but the ripples of the heart are infinite.” – Amit Ray
- “There is no such thing as tough love. Love is kind, love is compassionate, love is tender.” – Heather Wolf
- “Compassion is the wish to see others free from suffering.” – Dalai Lama
“Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution.” – Kahlil Gibran
- “There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.” – John Holmes
- “You can’t simply love without being compassionate. It doesn’t work that way.” – Anonymous
- “I love this life and even if to be taken from me, I will love that you have yours. Cherish all life, for life, is worth cherishing.” – Tom Althouse
- “No one can love and not be compassionate.” – Anonymous
- “Love and compassion are the true religions to me. But to develop this, we do not need to believe in any religion.” – Dalai Lama
- “Be love, so much love that when others are with you they are love.” – Abraham-Hicks
- “Compassion is the greatest form of love humans have to offer.” – Rachael Joy Scott
- “True compassion requires love of the highest standard.” – Anonymous
- “Until you have real compassion, you cannot recognize love.” – Bob Thurman
Truth and Compassion Quotes
Truth and Compassion.
- “Truth without compassion is cruelty.” – Antero Alli
- “There can only be compassion when there is truth in your heart.” – Anonymous
- “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.” – Plato
- “Compassion is not a virtue—it is a commitment. It’s not something we have or don’t have—it’s something we choose to practice.” – Brené Brown
- “Compassion isn’t some kind of self-improvement project or ideal that we’re trying to live up to. Having compassion starts and ends with having compassion for all those unwanted parts of ourselves, all those imperfections that we don’t even want to look at.” – Pema Chödrön
- “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” – Leo Buscaglia
- “With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity.” – Keshavan Nair
- “The truth comes out when there is complete compassion.” – Anonymous
- “More smiling, less worrying. More compassion, less judgment. More blessed, less stressed. More love, less hate.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “I have no idea what’s awaiting me, or what will happen when this all ends. For the moment I know this: There are sick people and they need curing.” – Albert Camus
- “Speaking the truth is a show of compassion.” – Anonymous
- “It’s not our job to toughen our children up to face a cruel and heartless world. It’s our job to raise children who will make the world a little less cruel and heartless.” – L.R. Knost
- “In a world full of lies, show compassion.” – Anonymous
- “Compassion is an action word with no boundaries.” – Prince
- “Truth and compassion go hand in hand.” – Anonymous
Quotes about Compassion and Kindness
- “Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn’t anyone who doesn’t appreciate kindness and compassion.” – Dalai Lama
- “A kind and compassionate act is often its own reward.” – William John Bennett
- “Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change.” – Bob Kerrey
- “The world will become better when we start being kind to one another.” – Anonymous
- “Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle.” – Charles Glassman
- “Oftentimes, a person only needs someone to be kind to them.” – Anonymous
- “Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.” – Princess Diana
You Might Like: 159+ Resilience Quotes That Encourage You Through Hard Times
- “Sometimes it takes only one act of kindness and caring to change a person’s life.” – Jackie Chan
- “The purpose of human life is to serve, and to show compassion and the will to help others.” – Albert Schweitzer
- “I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.” – Lao Tzu
- “There’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” – Scott Adams
- “Kindness never asks for anything in return.” – Anonymous
- “A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” – Lao Tzu
- “Showing kindness in the world is a form of revolution.” – Anonymous
We need empathy.
- Have a passion for compassion.
- Live a life of kindness.
- Above all, we need empathy.
- Kindness is never overrated.
- Always choose compassion.
- Kindness is more than being right.
- To be human is to show compassion.
- A small act of kindness goes a long way.
- Empathy for all.
- Show them a love that they’ve never seen.
- Compassion causes ripples.
- The world needs compassion.
- Show kindness and you’ll create a ripple effect.
- Compassion is much appreciated.
- One act of kindness is all we need.
- “For us to feel good emotionally, we have to look after ourselves.” – Sam Owen
- “Never forget to show kindness to yourself.” – Anonymous
- “Don’t change your self-criticism habit. Change your habitual reactions to self-criticism.” – Yong Kang Chan
- “Having compassion starts and ends with having compassion for all those unwanted parts of ourselves.” – Pema Chodron
- “Showing compassion isn’t exclusive for those around you, it’s also for yourself.” – Anonymous
- “Remember, you have been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” – Louise L. Hay
“Self-compassion is like a muscle. The more we practice flexing it, especially when life doesn’t go exactly according to plan (a frequent scenario for most of us), the stronger and more resilient our compassion muscle becomes.” Sharon Salzberg
- “Being human is not about being any one particular way; it is about being as life creates you—with your own particular strengths and weaknesses, gifts and challenges, quirks and oddities.” – Kristin Neff
- “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” – Joseph Campbell
- “Self-care isn’t selfish.” – Anonymous
- “Talk to yourself as you would someone you love.” – Brené Brown
- “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” – Jack Kornfield
- “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely.” – Carl Jung
- “If you can’t say it to a friend, don’t say it to yourself.” – Anonymous
What does it mean to show compassion to someone else?
Did you know that compassion literally means “to suffer together?” The need to show compassion emerges when you become aware of a person’s suffering and you’re compelled to share and feel this experience. Pretty deep, huh? With everything that’s going on in the world, it’s more important than ever to show compassion and kindness to those around you.
What are some ways you can be more compassionate toward others?
Imagine yourself in their shoes.
If you’re looking for ways to be more compassionate, here are a few simple things you can do.
- Stop being so judgmental and accept people for who they are.
- Practice compassion meditation towards others and yourself.
- Imagine yourself in their shoes.
- Be more present of what others are experiencing at the moment.
- Exercise mindfulness.
Is Compassion the Same as Empathy?
Compassion and empathy are often used interchangeably. But there is a difference between the two words. Compassion enables us to be aware of a person’s suffering with the added desire to help that person. Empathy, on the other hand, allows us to understand how others feel, which then helps us to show compassion more generously.