If you just got a job as a food truck service window attendant and desire to develop the right skills and qualities that will help you to be the best, then this post is for you. So, don’t just read, try to work on developing the skills we present that you think you are lacking. Also, if you are running a food truck, the importance of having a good service window attendant on staff cannot be overemphasized. So, try to properly evaluate your candidates before hiring one.
The service window attendant is usually the first person that welcomes visitors or customers to your truck. As such, an individual with excellent customer service and human relationship skills is best suited for this position.
The duties of a service window attendant usually start at greeting visitors on arrival, assisting customers with menu questions, ringing up the order and ensuring that customers are kept engaged while waiting for their orders.
Top Skills And Qualities Of A Great Service Window Attendant
To perform these tasks effectively a good service window attendant should possess most of the following skills and qualities.
Service Window Attendant Skills
- Listening. A good service window attendant should be a good listener. The ability to speak is a necessary skill; however, being able to listen attentively to guests is more important. This allows you to understand customers’ inquiries easily without having to make them repeat what they have said before.
- Well Spoken. A good service window attendant should be proficient in the language in which they render their services, including a local dialect if necessary. Most importantly, they should be out spoken as some customers may dislike mumbling.
- Multitasking. The job of a service window attendant may sometimes go beyond the functions earlier mentioned. Sometimes, they may be called upon to perform other tasks in the truck.
- Team Player. Aside being friendly to guests, a good service window attendant should possess excellent relationship skills. They should be able to maintain a cordial relationship with co-workers, and should have a team spirit.
- Organization. Great service window attendants often possess excellent organizational skills. They are able to stay focused all the time and make sure that the other staff staff, as well as equipment, are functioning well. So, it requires a great deal of organization and carefulness to be a good service window attendant.
Service Window Attendant Qualities
- Friendly. The service window attendant is usually the first person/employee that customers come in contact with when they show up at your food truck. As such, they need a friendly disposition. They should have the ability to make guests feel at home and important.
- Compassionate. To be a good service window attendant, you should be able to connect with people’s emotions. This allows you detect when your guests are worried. At this point, being able to talk them out of their worries could also be well appreciated by some guests. But, you must do this courteously and avoid being too inquisitive.
- Confident. A good service window attendant must be very confident of themselves. They must be able to speak confidently to guests about the menu, services and benefits they stand to gain by visiting the food truck regularly. And most importantly, they should be very confident of their abilities.
- Composure and Patience. Composure and patience are also very important qualities a service window attendant must have. Some guests are irate and unbearably annoying, so, it requires a great deal of composure and patience to accommodate such customers.
- Proactive. Good service window attendants have the ability to anticipate what a customer’s reaction might be, or what might happen next, and work to make the situation better. A good service window attendant doesn’t wait to be told to do the right thing.
- Perceptiveness and Intelligence. Service window attendants are supposed to exhibit a great level of situational awareness and intelligence all the time. They are supposed to have a complete knowledge of happenings in the truck. They should be aware of things like online orders, deliveries and the status of customer orders.
The Bottom Line
There they are. The top skills and qualities to develop that will help you to be highly effective on the job, as well as to become the best host or hostess in your unit. And if you are hiring someone for this role, make sure you consider these qualities before making your hiring decision.
Food truck service window attendants are usually at their post wearing a big smile and ready to greet customers to your food truck. A bad impression could leave an undesirable taste that lingers beyond the last bite of your guest’s meal; but a good impression could be the key to unlocking an excellent food truck experience.