Progressive Insurance is definitely a viable option for food truck or catering truck auto insurance. Progressive is an insurance company that you can access “directly” (via their website, etc) or by an appointed Progressive “broker”. In the past, it seemed Progressive’s Auto policies were a little more expensive than most insurance companies.  However, Progressive is becoming more of a competitive player for Auto insurance as the food truck industry matures.

Flo might not be happy to hear this.

I recently had a food truck client that decided to purchase an Auto policy “direct” from Progressive and then a General Liability policy from There is a significant disadvantage to that structure because it creates more work for the food truck owner when requesting certificates of insurance. Now the truck owner will need to contact their insurance broker (for the General Liability, Workers’ Compensation, etc) AND Progressive to get the necessary evidence of insurance to drive onto that lot. So that means two separate calls/emails for two separate certificates of insurance for each event.

Why make it hard on yourself? Streamline this process by selecting one broker to represent your risk in the market place. Most importantly, select a broker that is an expert in the industry.

Matt Carlson, CIC is an insurance broker that specializes in insurance and risk management solutions for food and catering trucks. He is a foodie and second generation commercial insurance broker. He provides his clients with General Liability, Auto and Workers’ Compensation coverage. Matt currently insures over 25 food trucks. Some of his more notable clients are Krazy BBQ, Kogi BBQ and The Fox Pizza Bus. You can find his insurance website at where you can get more information on his company or an insurance quote application.