I went through the process of filing an LLC with Rocket Lawyer and share what the process was like step-by-step in this review. I share everything I’d want to know about the service if I were forming a new LLC, including the advantages and disadvantages of the service.
Bottom line: When you want comprehensive legal services for your company, Rocket Lawyer is a convenient and affordable online option. This is a company that provides solid customer experience, a refund policy within 30 days of purchase, and a simple checkout process. However, there are limited options when filing an LLC and more affordable services available.
- Price: 7 out of 10
- Customer Support + Refund Policy: 9 out of 10
- User Reviews / Company Reputation: 8 out of 10
- Ease of Use and Checkout Process: 9 out of 10
- Total Review Score: 33 out of 40 (Good Score)
Advantages of Rocket Lawyer
With Rocket Lawyer, you get the complete package. For a monthly fee, you get access to legal document templates for business, real estate transactions, finances and personal and family needs in addition to LLC services. Having all of these services available to your business in one place is convenient. If you’re looking for an online solution beyond business formation services, Rocket Lawyer is a good choice.
The company offers a 7-day free trial, meaning there’s little risk to signing up and exploring the options, including the LLC formation options, which are included for free with the monthly subscription option. That risk-free option can be a powerful incentive, allowing you to test-drive the product before committing. If you are unsatisfied, you can request a full refund.
Rocket Lawyer also operates in all 50 states, meaning you can complete your LLC formation no matter where you want to incorporate. Some competitors limit their LLC formation services to Delaware, where the majority of incorporations are located.
Rocket Lawyer gets good reviews from its customers, meaning you can be confident you are investing in a service that has credibility within the profession.
For customer service, Rocket Lawyer offers 12 hours of support every weekday and their customer service also gets high marks in online reviews.
Disadvantages of Rocket Lawyer
- The major disadvantage to Rocket Lawyer is LLC formation is not the company’s specialty. Rocket Lawyer offers an extensive array of products and services. However, many of its competitors in the LLC formation space exclusively specialize in that service.
- You’re also paying a monthly subscription fee to be a part of Rocket Lawyer. In some cases, the needs of LLC formation and agency representation may not justify paying a monthly cost.
Non-members will pay nearly $100 for a package of options that, frankly, compared to competitors that charge half or less, may not make sense financially.
How Much Does It Cost to File an LLC with Fees?
Rocket Lawyer keeps it simple when it comes to its packages. Unlike many of its competitors, it does not offer multiple service options.
Because Rocket Lawyer operates on a subscription model, its options for LLC formation are similarly structured, with an option for non-members and one for members. Non-Members: $99.99
The Non-Member option includes the following options:
- Articles of Organization Preparation and Filing. Creating the Articles of Organization documents is a critical step as part of the filing process. These documents establish the rights, duties, obligations and liabilities for your new company and also list essential information, including the registered agent for the business. They are submitted to the state of incorporation to establish the business as a legal entity. Rocket Lawyer can draft these documents on your behalf and file them with the state office responsible for business incorporation.
- Name Availability Check. Even if you’ve come up with a great name for your business, it may already be taken. Rocket Lawyer will search the business databases of your state of formation to check whether your business name is available for use or if it has already been claimed by another entity.
- Secure Business Document Storage. Rocket Lawyer will store your filed formation papers online in its secure online platform. You can access these electronic records at any time from any device with a Wi-Fi connection.
- Hard Copies. Once your paperwork has been filed and approved, Rocket Lawyer will mail you the completed, filed documents such as the articles of organization, so you can have them in your records.
- Customer Service Support. Non-members can access Rocket Lawyer’s phone and email support for assistance with their LLC registration business.
The non-member rate does not include additional fees. LLC businesses are required to name a registered agent, which is a person or company that manages the LLC registration and re-registration processes on your company’s behalf. The state of registration will send the registered agent copies of relevant documents and notices and the registered agent will, in turn, pass those materials onto the company.
Non-members pay $149.99 for Rocket Lawyer to act as your registered agent. In addition, you will have to pay state fees that vary by state, from about $100 to $500.
Members: Free with a $39.99 monthly subscription.
When you sign up as a member with Rocket Lawyer, the LLC services are included as part of your monthly rate. As noted above, that can be an advantage for those seeking an online legal business platform at a flat rate.
Unlike its competitors that offer different, tiered packages, there are no major differences here with the Rocket Lawyer member and non-member rates. However, members do get a 25 percent discount on the registered agent fees.
For those starting a business, there are other services that Rocket Lawyer offers that should be factored into the package differences. Among the services offered are:
- LLC Operating Agreements. This service helps you complete important documents related to the rules of operation for your LLC. It defines how the company will run, outlines basic business processes and describes how disputes will be resolved. It differs from Articles of Organization, which is used for the filing process. The operating agreement is an internal document that when well-defined, shows how your business operates.
- Future Incorporations. Rocket Lawyer members get a 25 percent discount on any future incorporation filings.
- Legal Documents. Use the vast array of online legal documents to create non-disclosure agreements, business contracts, sales agreements, lease agreements, partnership or joint venture agreements, revolving credit agreements, independent contractor agreements, lease agreements, wills and hundreds more.
- Legal Advice. The Rocket Lawyer Ask a Lawyer feature is a convenient way to get advice on a range of legal issues. Simply leave your question online and get information from a lawyer who specializes in the issue of concern. Rocket Lawyer attorneys will also review legal documents before they are executed to ensure everything is proper.
- Discounts. Rocket Lawyer offers its members discounted services for legal work done on your behalf if you end up needing a lawyer.
Total Score: 33 out of 40
I gave Rocket Lawyer a 33 out of 40 for LLC formation. Rocket Lawyer gets high marks on customer service, refund policy, and has a simple checkout process that doesn’t confuse you. However, the price is a bit higher than competitors I’ve reviewed. Check out the detailed review below based on our four criteria of price, customer support, reviews, and customer experience.
Price: 7 out of 10
We want you to get the best deal possible on an LLC formation. We rate LLC formation services by the lowest price, so you can be confident you’re getting a great deal based on the value and features offered. The cost to file an LLC through Rocket Lawyer is middle of the pack compared to alternative services. We scored the company 7 out of 10 on price.
- Price: We know that Rocket Lawyer offers an array of services for members. For some, that might be a good option. But for most people looking strictly for LLC registration services, we think the price is just too high. We’re tempering that score by the non-member rate, which is higher than some of the no-frills, newer upstart companies out there but still in line with some of the more established companies. However, the services at the non-member rate are very, very basic.
- Value: Again, Rocket Lawyer is not in the primary business of LLC formation, unlike most of its competitors in this space. That makes it difficult to consider value as a real option for those who are looking for an affordable option for LLC services. Whether there is value to signing up for the service and then canceling is another matter, but does not seem like an option worthy of endorsing as an ethical business practice.
Customer Support + Refund Policy: 9 out of 10
We believe LLC formation companies should offer hassle-free refunds and easy to get a hold of customer support if you have questions. We clearly list each company’s refund policies. Rocket Lawyer offers a straight-forward refund policy and customer support via chat, phone and email if you need support. We rated the company 9 out of 10 based on these criteria.
Refund Policy: If you want a refund, Rocket Lawyer’s policies are generous. You must ask for a refund by phone and within 30 days of purchase. If you cancel an annual membership, you can receive a pro-rated refund for the remaining time that has not been used. You may request a refund for an annual membership by phone or email.
Note: The refund policy does not apply to services purchased through a program sponsor and for incorporation-related expenses paid to third parties, including registered agency services. It also does not cover payments made directly to third parties, such as to external attorneys.
Customer Support: If you need help, there are three ways to do so, all available at the top right of the Rocket Lawyer website, rocketlawyer.com. In the small white HELP box, you can send an email or request an online chat.
- Phone Number: (877) 881-0947. Phone support is available Monday to Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Pacific time
- Chat: www.rocketlawyer. Click on HELP in the top right corner, then “Chat online” and a pop-up chat box will appear.
- Email: www.rocketlawyer. Click on HELP in the top right corner, then “Send an email” for access to an online form.
User Reviews / Company Reputation: 8 out of 10
We evaluate reviews published across the web to help determine if this is a company you can trust for your LLC formation. The reviews of Rocket Lawyer online across review websites like Trust Pilot and BBB have mostly positive reviews. Like other LLC formation services, there are a number of complaints as well. Based on the reviews and my research, Rocket Lawyer is a company you can trust and is rated 8 out of 10.
From the Better Business Bureau: Using Rocket Lawyer is one of the best experiences ever! I always find what I am looking for and feel confident I’m getting what I need. I would definitely recommend them to anyone.
From the Better Business Bureau: I started my new LLC. They helped and went above and beyond.
From Trustpilot: I was planning on opening a business and needed help with the paperwork. After reading some posts here I decided to call Rocket Lawyer. My whole experience was 5 stars – I would highly recommend Rocket Lawyer
From Trustpilot: It wasted a lot of my time, but they did give me a refund, so that was great. Also, the consultation is something you can get for free without them.
Ease of Use and Checkout Process: 9 out of 10
Here’s the step-by-step process of forming an LLC with Rocket Lawyer. Start by selecting your name of incorporation and the business type (LLC, Non-Profit, C-Corp, S-Corp). Click the “Get Started” button when you’re ready.
Enter contact information for the primary contact of the business. Enter your first name, last name, email address, and phone number. Click on the “Continue” button to move forward.
In the next section of the form, you’ll enter the business address. This includes the city, state, zip code, and county. Select the “continue” button when you’re ready.
Select the business entity you would like to form… presumably an LLC. Confirm the state you would like to file and click on the “Continue” to move forward with the process.
Provide additional information about the company including business name, company name designation (LLC, L.L.C., Limited Liability Company, etc.), explain what your company will be doing, select the industry in the drop down, and specify if you will be the primary contact for the new company. Then click “Continue” to move ahead.
Select preferences on management and ownership of the company. You can select LLC member(s), one manager, and more than one manager. You will also need to designate if there are additional members of your LLC you would like to identify.
Choose if you would like rush filing. This allows you to get electronic copies of your LLC documents within 1 – 2 business days for an additional fee. If you select standard processing, expect 8 – 12 business days to get your documents.
Choose if you would like an EIN or tax identification number for $59.99. A tax ID is required if you want to create a bank account in the United States for the business or pay employees. You could do this yourself through your state website. Click “continue” when you’re ready to go.
Do you want a corporate seal with some nebulous sample business forms and a company binder for $99.00? I decided to pass on this upsell option.
Decide if you want Rocket Lawyer to be your registered agent for $149.99 per year or $111.19 with the member discount. You’ll need to assign a registered agent for your new company that serves as the primary contact for legal or government communications. This is not something you want to do yourself. Alternative LLC service companies do charge less for this service as an FYI, but the annual cost of this service is not bad.
On the next part of the form, you’ll review the information you’ve already submitted like business name, primary contact, busi