The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and applesauce fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Applesauce Fun Facts.
Applesauce Fun Facts: Applesauce is a puree made of apples. It can be made with peeled or unpeeled apples and a variety of spices (commonly cinnamon and allspice). Flavorings or sweeteners such as sugar or honey are also commonly added. Apple sauce is inexpensive and is widely used in North America, the United Kingdom and other European countries.
- Pureed and cooked apples appeared for the first time in British cookbooks during the 18th century, even though many early variants included pork and other meats in the sauce.
- June 6th is National Applesauce Cake Day.
- Applesauce can be a substitute for fat (butter/oil) in baking.
- One bushel of apples will make between 20-24 quarts of applesauce.
- Since it is high in pectin, applesauce is a homemade remedy to combat diarrhea.
- Astronaut John Glenn (The first American to orbit the Earth), carried applesauce in squeezable tubes on his initial space flight.
Applesauce Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any applesauce fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Applesauce.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.