The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and cheeseburger fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Cheeseburger fun facts.
Cheeseburger Fun Facts: There are several theories about the origins of the cheeseburger. One story claims that the cheeseburger was created between 1924 and 1926 by a chef named Lionel Sternberger. As the story goes, a homeless man dining at Sternberger’s restaurant in Pasadena, California, suggested the addition of a slice of cheese to his hamburger order. Sternberger complied, eventually added it to his menu, and the rest is history.
- Denver lays claim to the invention of the cheeseburger. In 1935, Louis Ballast of Humpty Dumpty Drive-In was awarded the trademark, yet he never enforced it.
- The largest cheeseburger ever made in the world weighed in at a whopping 777 pounds. It was created June 2, 2011 at the Alameda County Fair in California by Juicy’s. This giant burger featured 50 pounds of cheese. The bun alone weighed in at 272 pounds and contained an estimated 1.375 million calories.
- The popular Jimmy Buffett song “Cheeseburger in Paradise” was inspired by a boat trip Buffett took. Hampered by bad weather and tired of the canned food and peanut butter stocked aboard, Buffett found himself continually craving a cheeseburger. When the boat finally docked on the island of Tortola, Buffett was able to order the cheeseburger he had been fantasizing about.
- Mayor McCheese was the giant cartoon cheeseburger who served as the mayor of McDonaldland from 1971-1985. He was at the center of a lawsuit filed against McDonalds over the character’s resemblance to H.R. Pufnstuf. The case was settled in 1977.
- September 15th is National Double Cheeseburger Day.
- September 18th is National Cheeseburger Day.
Fun Facts We Missed
If we missed any cheeseburger fun facts please feel free to let us know in the comment section or our food truck forum. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify the facts we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Cheeseburgers.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.