The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and creme brulee fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Creme Brulee fun facts.
Creme Brulee Fun Facts: Creme Brulee (also known as burnt cream, crema catalana, or Trinity cream) is a dessert consisting of a rich custard base topped with a contrasting layer of hard caramel. It is normally served at room temperature.
- The earliest known reference to crème brûlée as it is known today appears in François Massialot‘s 1691 cookbook.
- In the early eighteenth century, the dessert was called “burnt cream” in English.
- Crème brûlée is usually served in individual ramekins. Discs of caramel may be prepared separately and put on top just before serving, or the caramel may be formed directly on top of the custard, immediately before serving. To do this, sugar is sprinkled onto the custard, then caramelized under a salamander broiler or with a blow torch.
- The world record for largest creme brulee topped out at 26 feet in diameter, weighed 1,600 pounds and was estimated to have two million calories. (The previous record was held by a 20-foot-diameter creme brulee made in 1999 in California.) The recipe included 4,000 eggs, 125 pounds of sugar, 115 gallons of cream, 19 gallons of milk and 1 gallon of vanilla extract. Chefs used an industrial blowtorch to caramelize the creme brulee’s sugar-coated surface.
- July 21st is National Creme Brulee Day.
Creme Brulee fun facts we missed
Let us know if we missed any creme brulee fun facts in the comment section or our food truck forum. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Creme Brulee.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.