The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and dessert fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Dessert Fun Facts
Dessert Fun Facts: Dessert is a course that concludes an evening meal. The course usually consists of sweet foods and beverages, but may include coffee, cheeses, nuts, or other savory items. In some parts of the world there is no tradition of dessert to conclude a meal.
- October is National Dessert Month.
- October 14th is National Dessert Day.
- Chocolate chips were invented after chocolate chip cookies.
- The “German” of German chocolate cake fame was actually a man named Samuel German, who was an employee of an American chocolate company.
- What we commonly call “Baked Alaska” was dubbed as such by the famous Delmonico’s Restaurant in New York City in 1876 to celebrate Alaska’s annexation.
- The world’s largest gingerbread house topped out at 2,520 square feet and contained 35.8 million calories.
- Girl Scout cookies were originally homemade.
- Boston cream pie is actually a cake.
- As of 2010, Armenia holds the title for the world’s biggest chocolate bar, which weighed over 9,000 pounds.
Dessert Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Feel free to let us know about the dessert fun facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Dessert.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.