The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at grapefruit fun facts:
Grapefruit Fun Facts: The grapefruit is a subtropical citrus tree known for its sour to semi-sweet fruit. Grapefruit is a hybrid originating in Barbados as an accidental cross between two introduced species, sweet orange and pomelo or shaddock.
- When found, it was named the “forbidden fruit.”
- The grapefruit is said to be one of the “Seven Wonders of Barbados.”
- February is National Grapefruit Month.
- Grapefruit trees can reach 25 to 30 feet tall.
- A single grapefruit tree can produce more than 1,500 pounds of fruit.
- Grapefruit are hand-picked, no mechanical harvesting is used.
- The Texas Red Grapefruit was designated as the official fruit of Texas in 1993.
- A grapefruit is 75% juice. One medium grapefruit will give you 2/3 of a cup of fresh-squeezed juice.
- Today most of the grapefruit consumed throughout the world is grown in Florida and in one specific region of Texas that has the necessary subtropical climate for grapefruit to thrive.
- Fresh grapefruit come in several colors including pink, red, white and golden.
Grapefruit Fun Facts We Missed
Feel free to let us know about the grapefruit fun facts we missed. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia article on Grapefruit.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.