The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and grilled cheese fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Grilled Cheese Fun Facts
Grilled Cheese Fun Facts: Cheese sandwiches can be uncooked, or grilled so that the bread toasts and the cheese melts (a dish referred to as a grilled cheese sandwich or simply grilled cheese). A grilled cheese is often heated by placing the buttered slices of bread, with the cheese between the slices, on a frying pan or griddle.
- Cheeses that are grilled by themselves, include:
- September 3rd is National Grilled Cheese Day.
- April is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month.
- April 12th is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day.
- Man has combined bread with cheese for centuries. Some scholars point to Roman cookbooks that included combining bread and cheese at mealtimes. Some scholars speculate that it was in the 1920’s that someone came up with the idea to not only combine bread with cheese, but also to grill it as well.
- U.S. government cookbooks describe Navy cooks broiling “American cheese filling sandwiches” during World War II.
- The actual term “grilled cheese” doesn’t make an appearance in print until the 1960’s. Before then it was all “melted cheese” or “toasted cheese” sandwiches.
- The most popular additions to a grilled cheese sandwich are bacon, ham and tomato.
Grilled Cheese Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Feel free to let us know about any Grilled Cheese Fun Facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Grilled Cheese.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.