The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Ketchup fun facts.
Ketchup Fun Facts: The original Ketchup, known as Catsup did not contain tomatoes
- 97% of American homes keep ketchup in their kitchen.
- June 5th is National Ketchup day.
- The main ingredients in Ketchup used to be anchovies, walnuts, mushrooms and kidney beans
- Ketchup was first for sale to the public by F. & J. Heinz Company back in 1876.
- Each person eats about 3 bottles of ketchup a year.
- By eating just 4 tablespoons of ketchup you will receive the same nutritional value of an entire medium sized tomato.
- Ketchup is similar to wine in that there are good and bad ketchup years depending on the tomato harvest.
- Ketchup is only made from ripe tomatoes in summer.
- You can use Ketchup to restore the glow to your pots and pans since the acid in ketchup removes the tarnish.
- Ketchup is one of the few packaged foods that does not use preservatives.
Ketchup Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Let us know about any Ketchup Fun Facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Ketchup.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.