The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Latte Fun Facts
Latte Fun Facts: A latte is a coffee drink made with espresso and steamed milk.
- The term as used in English is a shortened form of the Italian caffè latte, caffelatte or caffellatte, which means “milk coffee”.
- Coffee and milk have been part of European cuisine since the 17th century.
- The drink is similar to a cappuccino, the difference being that a cappuccino consists of espresso and steamed milk with a layer of milk foam.
- October 7th is National Latte Day.
- December 3rd is National Pepperment Latte Day.
- According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the term caffè latte was first used in English in 1867 by William Dean Howells in his essay “Italian Journeys”.
- In the 1600’s a group of English women, frustrated by the lack of virility in their men, claimed coffee “made men as unfruitful as the deserts.”
- Although milk and coffee have been consumed together in Europe for centuries, legend has it that David Schomer started the US latte art craze in the mid 1980’s.
Latte Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Let us know about any Latte Fun Facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Lattes.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.