National food holidays have been around for decades. Unfortunately, most of them aren’t real holidays, but they sure are fun to celebrate. Then again, it’s always nice to have an extra excuse for enjoying certain foods. What makes a work day more fun than honoring everything from National Hamburger Day to National Pie Day? We cover them all so you always know what food your food truck should be celebrating.
National Pie Day Fun Facts
A pie is a baked dish which is usually made of a pastry dough casing that covers or completely contains a filling of various sweet or savory ingredients.
- December 1st and January 23rd are National Pie Day.
- The Ancient Egyptians around 2,500BC are known to have eaten pies made with ground oats or wheat wrapped around a filling of honey or figs.
- Pumpkin pie was first introduced to the holiday table at the pilgrim’s second Thanksgiving in 1623.
- Approx. $700 million in pies are sold in grocery stores every year. This does not include restaurants, only grocery stores. If you lined up the number of pies sold in one year, they would circle the globe.
- “As easy as pie” is an American expression. In the 1890’s, “pie” was a common slang expression meaning anything easy, a cinch; the expression “easy as pie” stemmed quite readily from that.
- 1 in 5 Americans have claimed to have eaten an entire pie by themselves.
How To Observe National Pie Day
- Whip up a pie. It can be savory or sweet. You can even use it as an ingredient in one of your food truck dishes for your customers.
- Use #NationalPieDay to post on social media. Facebook | Twitter
National Pie Day Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any popcorn fun facts in the comment section. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
There is a National Food Holiday for almost every day of the year. Don’t miss a single one! Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.
REFERENCE: Pie Fun Facts