National food holidays have been around for decades. Unfortunately, most of them aren’t real holidays, but they sure are fun to celebrate. Then again, it’s always nice to have an extra excuse for enjoying certain foods. What makes a work day more fun than honoring everything from National Hamburger Day to National Raisin Day? We cover them all so you always know what food your food truck should be celebrating.
National Raisin Day Fun Facts
The word raisin comes from the Latin racemus and means “a cluster of grapes or berries.” It is believed that humans discovered raisins when they happened upon grapes drying on a vine. History books note that raisins were sun-dried from grapes as long ago as 1490 B.C. But several hundred years passed before it was determined which grape variety would make the best raisin.
- April 30th is National Raisin Day.
- Half of the world’s supply of raisins are grown in California.
- Raisin colors vary by drying process. For example, a dark purplish/black raisin is sun-dried. A light to medium brown raisin is mechanically dehydrated in special drying tunnels. A golden to bright yellow raisin is mechanically dried and treated with sulfur dioxide to retain color and a green raisin is dried by air in adobe houses.
- It takes more than 4 tons of grapes to produce 1 ton of raisins.
- Fresno, California is the Raisin Capital of the World.
- The California Dancing Raisin was introduced in 1984. The California Raisin Industry marketing staff wanted to to increase awareness and demand for California raisins.
How To Observe National Raisin Day
- Create a new daily special that centers around raisins. Use raisins as an ingredient in one of your food truck dishes for your customers.
- Use #NationalRaisinDay to post on social media. Facebook | Twitter
National Raisin Day Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any raisin fun facts on social media or via email. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
There is a National Food Holiday for almost every day of the year. Don’t miss a single one! Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.
REFERENCE: Raisin Fun Facts