The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving noodle fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at noodle fun facts
Noodle Fun Facts: Noodles are a staple food in many cultures made from unleavened dough which is stretched, extruded, or rolled flat and cut into one of a variety of shapes.
- It was believed that noodles were first made from millet, a kind of cereal grain in China, at around 2000 B.C. Later it was found out that noodles originated from a desert region in Central Asia, the Tarim Basin in China’s Xinjian province.
- March 11th is National “Eat Your Noodles” Day.
- October 6th is National Noodle Day.
- December 11th is National Noodle Ring Day.
- Wheat noodles in Japan (udon) were adapted from a Chinese recipe by a Buddhist monk as early as the 9th century.
- Instant noodles may be considered as an inexpensive food item today, but the fact is that they were once sold as luxury item.
- It would cost you only about $140 a year if you ate ramen for every meal.
- By federal law, a noodle must contain 5.5 percent egg solids to be called a noodle.
- The first noodles ever consumed in space were instant ramen noodles.
- Ramen is the Japanese word for Chinese “lo mein.”
- There’s a whole museum in Yokohama, Japan dedicated to Cup Noodles.
- In Japan, slurping loudly while eating your noodles is not considered a poor etiquette. Rather, it signifies appreciation for your host that the meal being served is delicious.
Noodle Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Feel free to let us know about the noodle fun facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Noodles
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.