The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and onion ring fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Onion Ring fun facts.
Onion Ring Fun Facts: Onion rings are a form of snack or side dish commonly found in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and some parts of Asia. They generally consist of a cross-sectional “ring” of onion dipped in batter or bread crumbs and then deep fried.
- The first recipe for Onion Rings was a Crisco ad in a 1933 issue of the New York Times Magazine.
- A&W is credited with popularizing the onion rings in fast food restaurants, introducing it to its menu in the 1960s.
- US produces more than 2 million metric tons of onions annually.
- Americans consumer 20 pounds per person annually.
- Eating parsley will help get rid of onion breath.
- The fastest time to peel 50 pounds of onions is 2 minutes 39 seconds.
- According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest onion ever grown weighed 10 lbs 14 oz and was grown by V. Throup of Silsden, England.
- June 22nd is National Onion Ring Day.
Onion Ring Fun Facts We May Have Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know about the those we missed. We always love to add to these lists. Share your thoughts on this topic in the comment section, our food truck forum or social media. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Fun Facts about Onion Rings
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.