The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and peppermint fun facts. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Peppermint fun facts.
Peppermint Fun Facts: Peppermint (Mentha x piperita L.) in the mint family (Lamiaceae) is a natural hybrid of M. aquatica and M. spicata first found in a field of spearmint in England in 1696; it is vegetatively propagated since it does not breed true from seed.
- Peppermint has escaped cultivation and can be found growing wild in moist areas throughout Europe and North America.
- February 19th is National Chocolate Mint Day.
- December 3rd is National Peppermint Latte Day.
- Peppermint oil is produced by specialized cells on the underside of the leaves.
- The best time to harvest and collect the oil is on a sunny day as flowering is just beginning. This is when menthol is at its peak.
- Peppermint plants grow to be 18 – 36 inches tall and about 24 inches wide.
- Peppermint is the number 1 selling flavor among non-chocolate, hard candies.
- Ancient Greeks believed mint could cure hiccups
- The US produces 70% of the Worlds peppermint supply.
- Peppermint has been used in Eastern and Western traditional medicine as an aromatic, antispasmodic, and antiseptic in treating indigestion, nausea, sore throat, colds, toothaches, cramps, and cancers.
- Peppermint is the most extensively used volatile oil, both commercially and medicinally.
Peppermint Fun Facts We Missed
Please feel free to let us know if we may have missed some peppermint fun facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Peppermint.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.